Southern Philippines Medical Center: History
The center was established in 1917 as the Davao Public hospital. It was a 25 bed capacity hospital in San Pedro St., Davao City. In 1946, The hospital was renamed as the Davao General Hospital increasing its capacity to about 200 beds. In 1957, the hospital transferred to its current location at JP Laurel ave., Bajada Davao City. It was renamed Davao Regional Medical and Training Center by virtue of the Republic Act. 1859.
In 1966, the hospital was transferred to the 12.8 hectare site. Because of its importance in health care delivery the Department of Health issued Administrative Order 157 designating it as the medical Center for Mindanao and Sulu. During the martial law years and the conflict between the MNLF/MILF/NPA and the government of the Republic of the Philippines, the hospital was the major trauma center.
In 1986, the Davao Mental Hospital, which previously was an extension of the National Center for Mental Health was transferred to the hospital. At that time, the hospital was renamed the Davao Medical Center and the bed capacity was increased to 600. The name Davao Regional Hospital and Training Center was then transferred to the then Davao del Norte Provincial Hospital.
The hospital, then under the supervision of Gerardo Cunanan, MD, completed a renovation of the facilities and upgraded the number of operating theaters. In 2007, The Mindanao Heart Center was established.
Some of the content on this page has been obtained from the Southern Philippines Medical Center
page on Wikipedia and used under the CC-BY-SA
. - Serving History pages are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, anyone associated with the sources of this content