Oriya Cuisine: Food Items
Related Resources : Oriya Cuisine
Rice Breads And Lentils
Generally people use many kinds of rice. One is Arua sun dried and milled paddy and another is ushuna half boiled and milled paddy.
The former is more popular in urban areas and Brhmin villages whereas Ushuna is popular in coastal and western, Northern Odisha villages. In southern Odisha Arua is popular even in villages.
Generally scented rice varietis are used for kheeri/payas.
- Chuda ଚୁଡା-Flattened rice.
- Buta Dali ବୁଟ ଡାଲି- Channa dal with coconuts, raisins, dry fruits, mild spices.
- Mittha Dali ମିଠା ଡାଲି- Toor dal cooked with little jaggery, ghee, and bay leaf.popular in Jagannath temple
- Muga Dali ମୁଗ ଡାଲି- Mung bean dal cooked with coconuts and mild spices.
- Masura Dali ମସୁର ଡାଲି- Masur Dal cooked with cumin, mustard seed and bay leaves.
- Dalmaଡାଲମା/ଡାଲେମା/ଡାଲଣା - Mixed lentils with various vegetables, is popular due to the high nutritional value and consumed as a complete food.
- Khechediଖେଚେଡ଼ି- Rice and lentils with vegetables and occasionally potato. It is a general food at religious festivals.
- Mandia Jauମାଣ୍ଡିଆ ଜାଉ-Boiled Ragi cooled overnight
- Chhatua ଛତୁଆ- There are various kinds of Chhatua eaten as daily breakfast. Its a paste that has flour made from fried whole grain or wheat or rice and then mixed with sugar, banana, milk or curd.
- Luchi ଲୁଚି- Unleavened flour bread deep fried in oil.
- Mitha Bhata ମିଠା ଭାତ, Kaanika କାନିକା - Mildly sweetened rice with assorted spices
- Mudhi ମୁଢ଼ି/ଭୁଜା- It is puffed rice.
- Pakhala ପଖାଳ- Rice soaked in water with yogurt and seasonings.
- Paratta ପରଟା- Layered wheat bread rolled out in triangular or round shape and tawa-fried
- Palao ପଲଉ- Rice in clarified butter with raisins, nuts, vegetables, whole spices
- Poda Pitha is a cake made of rice and other spices which is eaten during the Raja festival.
- Puriପୁରୀ - Unleavened whole wheat flour bread deep fried in oil
Curries Vegetables And Other Main Course Items
Oriya curries are not full of masala floating in oil, rather these are mildly spiced and given the original taste of the ingredients. Around the areas Coastal Odisha the food is sweet coconut, ghee, jaggery is used on account of the influence of the Jagannath Temple, Chille and curry leaves is used in regions closer to Andhra Pradesh and mustard paste and kala jeera is used mostly all over. The coastline and numerous rivers offer abundant fish, while prawns come from the Chilika Lake.
- Alu Bhaja ଆଳୁ ଭଜା - Potato slices fried in oil with whole spices. Aludum ଆଳୁ ଦମ - Spicy potato curry
- Alu Matara ଆଳୁ ମଟର ତରକାରୀ - Diced potatoes and peas curry
- Alu Phulakobi Bhaja ଆଳୁ ଫୁଲକୋବି ଭଜା - Diced potato and cauliflower florets sauteed in oil and spices
- Alu Potala Rasa ଆଲୁ ପୋଟଳ ରସା - Curried potatoes and pointed gourd
- Bilatibaigana/patalghanta chutney ବିଲାତି ବାଇଗଣ/ପାତଲଘଁଟା ଚଟଣି- A very sweet chutney made of tomatoes, dates and sugar. Dahi bhendi ଦହି ଭେଣ୍ଡି- Okra Bhendi or Ladies finger fried and dipped in spiced yogurt
- Besar ବେସର - Assorted vegetables stir fried in panch phutana and a mildly spiced mustard sauce Badi Dahi ବଡ଼ି ଦହି - Fried Dalma dipped in spiced yogurt.
- Badi chura ବଡ଼ି ଚୁରା - Powdered badi made of urad dal with green chillies, sometimes garlic and onion
- Chadachadi ଚଡ଼ ଚଡ଼ି - Sauteed mixed vegetables, diced potatoes and shrimp in a spicy mustard sauce
- Chhencheda ଚେଞ୍ଚେଡ଼ା - Lightly spiced fish head and mixed vegetables
- Chungdi Malai ଚିଙ୍ଗୁଡ଼ି/ଚୁଙ୍ଗୁଡ଼ି ମଲାଇ - Freshwater prawn cooked in coconut milk and spices
- Chungdi Jhola ଚିଙ୍ଗୁଡ଼ି/ଚୁଙ୍ଗୁଡ଼ି ଝୋଳ - Freshwater prawn cooked in thick, spicy gravy
- Crab Kalia କଙ୍କଡ଼ା କାଳିଆ - A spicy crab curry
- Dahi baigana ଦହି ବାଇଗଣ - Deep fried eggplant slices in a spiced yogurt sauce
- Dahi Maachha ଦହି ମାଛ - fried fish in a mildly spiced yogurt sauce
- Ghanta Food ଘାଣ୍ଟ - Vegetable medley and spice powders sauteed in oil
- Ghugni ଘୁଗୁନି - Boiled Peas and spices cooked in oil and then lightly curried.
- Kancha Kadali bara jhola କଞ୍ଚା କଦଳୀ ବରା ଝୋଳ - A curry of green plantain/unripe banana kofta.
- Kadali bhanda raai କଦଳୀ ଭଣ୍ଡା ରାଇ - Tiny flowers of banana cooked in mustard-chilly sauce.
- Kakharu phula bhaja କଖାରୁ ଫୁଲ ଭଜା - Pumpkin flowers deep fried in besan or rice flour with spices.
- Kankada Jhola କଙ୍କଡ଼ା ଝୋଳ - Crab meat and potatoes in a rich gravy with panch phutana
- Khata ଖଟା - Literally meaning "sour" in Oriya, a sweet and sour marmalade served as a side for example: Oou Khatta, Tomato khata, Amba khata, Pani Kakharu Sakara, Ambula pani, Nadia Ambila, Ambeda Besara Khatta, Ambeda Khatta Mitha, Dahi Nadia Chatani and etc.
- Kolatha Dali କୋଳଥ ଡାଲି- Chilke wale horsegram soup cooked with mustard seeds and garlic
- Maachha Jhola ମାଛ ଝୋଳ - Fish curry, in a spicy gravy seasoned with mustard, ginger, garlic, cumin and turmeric
- Maachha Bihana ମାଛ ବିହନ ତରକାରୀ - Fish ovum dumplings made into spicy curry.
- Kanji କାଞ୍ଜି- A traditional soup made from left over water from boiling rice and cooked with vegetables
- Ouu khatta ଓଉ ଖଟା - A sweet&sour marmalade made of elephant appleouu Dillenia indica in jaggery.mostly in autumn. Sometimes ouu added to dal or dalma. /oou-khatta/
- Patua ପତୁଆ - Vegetables or small fish wrapped in banana leaves along with mustard oil ginger garlic paste and smoked in earthen vessels
- Panasa Katha Tarakari ପଣସ କଠା ତରକାରୀ - Curry of unripe jack fruit with spicy garam masala and garlic.
- Posta ପୋସ୍ତ ତରକାରୀ - Poppyseed paste cooked with assorted vegetables and/or potato
- Maachha Besara ମାଛ ବେସର - Pan fried fish in a mustard gravy. Also called Maachha Besara
- Saga ଶାଗ - Fried green leafy vegetables sometimes with lentil balls and Badi
- Santula ସନ୍ତୁଳା - Lightly spiced assortment of steamed vegetables
- Saakara ସାକରା - Vegetables cooked in jaggery-unripe tamarind sauce, coconut and spices.
Pana Or Sharbats
- Arisa Pitha ଆରିସା ପିଠା - Rice flour kneaded with jaggery and fried in ghee/oil along with seasoning of sesame seeds
- Attakali ଅଟକାଳି-
- Bada Kantiବଡ କାନ୍ତି-
- Biri Buha ବିରି ବୁହା-
- Bhaga Pitha ଭାଗ ପିଠା-
- Bundia ବୁନ୍ଦିଆ-
- Chakuli Pitha ଚକୁଳି ପିଠା - Pan cake similar to dosa. A Sweet variation called puli or Budha chakuliବୁଢା ଚକୁଳି also prepared adding jaggery, ginger and frying in ghee. Budha chakuli is a must in Deepavali paya shraaddha and Samba Dashami
- Chitau piṭha ଚିତଉ ପିଠା - Fried pancakes made from rice flour, coconut, jaggery and milk, often offered in Pujas to Lord Jagannath on Chitalagi Amabasya or Chitau Amavasya.
- Chandrakanti ଚନ୍ଦ୍ରକାନ୍ତି - A deep fried sweet made from mixture of Green gram and rice flour.
- Chhena Gaja ଛେନା ଗଜା - Deep fried ricotta cheese soaked in sugar syrup
- Chhenna Poda ଛେନା ପୋଡ଼ - Baked sweetened ricotta cheese cake
- Chhena Kheeri ଛେନା ଖିରୀ - A kheer made with cubes of ricotta cheese
- Chhena Jilapi ଛେନା ଜିଲାପି - A jalebi made with kneaded ricotta cheese
- Chhena jhili ଛେନା ଝିଲି - Fried cheese in sugar syrup.
- Chhena Malpua ଛେନା ମାଲପୁଆ-
- Chhena Tadiaଛେନା ତାଡିଆ-
- Chuda Ghasa ଚୁଡା ଘଷା-
- Dahi Bara ଦହି ବରା-
- Enduri Pitha ଏଣ୍ଡୁରି ପିଠା - Batter of black gram-rice with coconut stuffing inside wrapped in turmeric leaves and steamed like idly.
- Gotai ଗୋଟେଈ-
- Gaintha godi ଗଇଁଠା ଗୋଡ଼ି - Small balls made of rice flour dipped in seasioned sweet milk. Speciality of pausha amavasya baula amavasya
- Hangsa Keli ହଂସ କେଳୀ-
- Kalakand କଳା କନ୍ଦ - Shaped sweets made from condensed milk
- Karanji କରଞ୍ଜି - A Dumpling made of maida and stuffed with coconut, cashew, and raisins
- Kakara pitha କାକରା ପିଠା - A deep fried sweet dish like arisha but made of wheat/maida flour and coconut, jaggery, black pepper, edible camphor and chhena stuffing.
- Jhadai Nadaa
- Puri Kadamba ପୁରି କଦମ୍ବ-
- Khaja or pheni ଖଜା/ଫେଣି - Shaped dough fried and drizzled with sugar syrup
- Khasta Puri ଖାସ୍ତା ପୁରି-
- Kheeri or Payas ଖିରି/ପାୟସ - Rice cooked in sweetened condensed milk
- Kheera କ୍ଷୀର-
- Kheersagar କ୍ଷୀରସାଗର - Cheese dumplings in condensed milk
- Ladu ଲଡୁ - Sweet balls made from lentils and dry fruits
- Lasi ଲସି - Sweet chilled yogurt drink, occasionally flavored in rose water
- Luni Khuruma ଲୁଣି ଖୁରୁମା-
- Magaja Ladu ମଗଜ ଲଡୁ-
- Malpua ମାଲପୁଆ- Sweetened deep fried batter of a mixture of bananas and flour
- Manda Pitha ମଣ୍ଡା ପିଠା - Sweet dish made of rice flour stuffed with coconut and sugarfried and steamed
- Maric Ladu
- Mendha Mundia ମେଣ୍ଢା ମୁଣ୍ଡିଆ-
- Mitha Dahi ମିଠା ଦହି - Sweet yogurt with a hint of cardamom
- Mathapuli ମାଠପୁଳି - Sweet dish made from Urad dal lentils
- Nadia Kora ନଡିଆ କୋରା-
- Pat Manohar
- Pitha ପିଠା - Coconut, lentil, jaggery, condensed dairy products in crepes
- Poda Pitha ପୋଡୋ ପିଠା-
- Rasmalai ରସମଲାଇ - Cheese dumplings in thickened, sweetened milk
- Rasabaliରସାବଳି - Flattened disks of ricotta cheese soaked in sweetened condensed milk
- Rasagola ରସଗୋଲା - Cheese dumplings in sugar syrup
- San Pitha
- Suar Pitha
- Suji Kakara Pitha ସୁଜି କାକରା ପିଠା/ସୁଜି ମଣ୍ଡା - A sweet dish made of suji with coconut stuffing
- Suji Khir
- Tala Pitha ତାଳ ପିଠା - A sweet dish made of palm fruit
Some of the content on this page has been obtained from the Oriya cuisine
page on Wikipedia and used under the CC-BY-SA
. - Serving History pages are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, anyone associated with the sources of this content