Gujarati Cuisine: List Of Gujarati Dishes
List Of Gujarati Dishes
In addition to plain rice, Gujarati cuisine also includes rice based dishes such as:
- Biranj: Steamed rice flavoured with saffron, sugar, and dried fruit.
- Khatta-Mittha Bhaat Sour and Sweet Rice: Rice, boiled with potatoes and spices, yellow in colour and accompanied with lemon peel.
Doodhpak: Rice pudding made by boiling rice with milk and sugar, and flavoured with cardamom, raisins, saffron, cashews, pistachios, or almonds. It is typically served as a dessert.
Khichdi Rice & a Dal: Cooked like porridge accompanied with ghee, yogurt, and pickle.
Pulao Rice with vegetables
- Khichu: Kneaded rice flour made by heating it with water, salt, green chillies, and cumin.
Vegetables Shaak Subzi
- Bataka nu Shaak Curry
- Bataka Sukhi Bhaji Dry Potato Curry
- Bharela Bhinda Stuffed dry Okra
- Bharela Karela Stuffed dry Bitter Melon
- Bhinda nu Shaak Dry Okra Curry
- Vatana Bataka nu Shaak Potato and Peas Curry
- Chola nu Shaak Black eyed peas Curry
- Dhana capsicum nu Shaak Dry Coriander, capsicum and chickpea flour curry
- Dudhi Bataka nu Shaak Bottle Gourd and Potato Curry
- Dudhi Chana Ni Daal nu Shaak Bottle Gourd and Split Black Chickpea Curry
- Dudhi Ganthia nu Shaak Bottle Gourd
- Dudhi Mag ni Dal nu Shaak Bottle Gourd and Mung Bean Curry
- Dudhi nu Shaak Bottle Gourd Curry
- Fansi ma Dhokli nu Shaak French Bean Curry with Dumplings
- Fansi nu Shaak Dry Green bean Curry
- Ganthoda nu Shaak
- Gathia nu Shaak
- Guvar nu Shaak Cluster Beans Curry Kadhi Curry made from buttermilk chhash and gram fluor, usually either sweet or tangy
- Kanda Bataka nu Shaak Onion and Potato Curry
- Karela nu Shaak Bitter Melon Curry
- Kobi Bataka nu Shaak Dry Cabbage and Potato Curry
- Mag nu shaak Mung Bean Curry
- Methi nu Shaak Fenugreek
- Panchkutiyu Shaak Five Vegetable Curry consisting of Ridge Gourd, Potato, Bottle Gourd, Eggplant, and Green Peas
- Parwal Bataka nu Shaak Pointed Gourd and Potato Curry
- Ringan nu Shaak Eggplant
- Ringan no Olo Roasted Eggplant's mashed Curry
- Sev Tameta nu Shaak Curry made of Green Unripe Tomatoes
- Tameta Bataka nu Shaak Tomato and Potato Curry
- Tindoda nu Shaak Ivy Gourd Curry
Undhiyu: A mixed vegetable casserole that is traditionally cooked upside down underground in earthen pots fired from above. This dish is usually made of the vegetables that are available on the South Gujarat coastline during the winter season, including amongst others green beans, unripe banana, muthia, and purple yam. These are cooked in a spicy curry that sometimes includes coconut. Surti Undhiyu is a variant that is served with puri at weddings and banquets. Again it is a mixed vegetable casserole, made with red lentils and seasoned with spices, grated coconut, and palm sugar in a mild sauce. It is garnished with chopped peanuts and toasted grated coconut, and served with rice or roti. This dish is very popular all over Gujarat, and most Gujarati families eat it at-least once a year on Makar Sankranti.
- Vad Papadi Nu Shaak
Side Dishes Farsan Farsan are side dishes in Gujarati cuisine.
" LOCHO" famous surti variety made from chickpea flour Chaat A mixture of potato pieces, Crispy fried bread, and Spices topped with chutney, cilantro, and yogurt.
- Bhajiya Deep fried savoury snacks. A popular variety is Pakora.
Dahi Vada Fried dumplings soaked in yogurt and topped with salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
Dhokla Steamed cake made primarily of rice flour.
- Handvo Steamed cake made of rice flour, Various beans, yogurts, and calabash.
Kachori A deep fried dumpling made of flour and filled with a stuffing of Yellow moong dal, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and ginger.
- Khaman Steamed cakes made out of gram flour, garnished with Green chili pepper and cilantro.
Khandvi Roll made of gram flour and yogurt topped with mustard seed, cilantro, and Grated coconut.
- Khichu A thick porridge-like mixture made of rice flour and seasoned with cumin seeds. Once prepared, the mixture is often topped with oil, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Lilva Kachori A variety of kachori made with pigeon peas.
- Methi na Gota Fried fenugreek Dumplings
Muthia Steamed dumpling made of gram flour, fenugreek, salt, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. The steamed dumpling can also be stir fried with Mustard Seed.
Pani Puri A round hollow flatbread that is fried crisp and filled with potato, and Black Chickpeas and topped with Water seasoned with mint and Green chili pepper, and tamarind chutney.
Patra Taro Leaves, coated with gram flour, rolled and steamed. Sometimes, the steamed roll is sliced and stir-fried with mustard seed and Grated coconut.
- Sev Khamani Khaman topped with crispy, fried gram flour.
- Surat no Locho
Vegetable Handva Grill Handva - Serve it hot either with chutney or tomato sauce or pickle.
- Dal vada, Vaati dal na bhajiya
Most nasta singular nasto are deep fried and made with Gram Flour.
- Sev mamra
- Lasaniya mamra
- Moong Daal
- Meethi Sweet Kadhi
- Kadh an intermediate between kadhi and daal
- Tuer daal
- Mix daal
Spices And Seasonings
- Ambli Tamarind
- Gaur Jaggery
- Chaat Masala
- Hardar Turmeric powder
- Kothmir Coriander
- Elaichi Cardamom
- Garam Masala Mix of dry spices, roasted and made powder
- Hing asafoetida
- Jeeru cumin
- Kesar saffron
- Marchu chillies
- Lal Marchu
- Methi Fenugreek - leaves and seeds
- Phoodino mint
- Soonth ginger powder
- Laving cloves
- Mitho Limbdo curry leaves
Other Relevant or Related Items
Some of the content on this page has been obtained from the Gujarati cuisine
page on Wikipedia and used under the CC-BY-SA
. - Serving History pages are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, anyone associated with the sources of this content